Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. (Psalm 127:3)
POLICY FOR FIRST RECONCILIATION, FIRST EUCHARIST
1. Students must complete two years consecutively in the Religious Education Program. (Does not include Kindergarten). A child must be at least in the second grade before receiving the sacraments of Eucharist and Reconciliation. This two year preparation policy is Diocesan wide. Older children also go through a two year preparation to receive the sacraments.
2. Students must have regular attendance in religion classes and cannot be absent more than three times during the Religious Education calendar year.
3. If a child misses more than three days a makeup class will need to be attended in order for the days to be cleared. Makeup classes will be handled on individual basis.
4. It is preferred for families of students attending Religious Education classes to be registered parishioners of Ss. Cyril & Methodius. If families are not parishioners, a letter of permission from their home parish may be needed in order to prepare for a sacrament. If there is no home parish, families are welcomed to register at Ss. Cyril & Methodius.
5. When students are in their first year of preparation to receive the sacraments active participation and attendance is necessary as a family at Mass either Saturday evening or Sunday and regular attendance of Religious Education class by student. The same applies to the second year of preparation with the added Sacramental meeting attendance of parents.
6. Before a student receives their First Communion he/she and their family will need to fulfill the following guidelines.
7. Students will receive their sacraments at Ss. Cyril & Methodius Parish during the month of May per class each at a designated time during their 2nd year of preparation.
8. This policy applies to all children who have been baptized prior to age 7. Once child is 8 years old the guidelines for RCIA for children will apply. Please ask for this information if your child has not yet been baptized and is 7 years or older.
For general inquiries, please call the parish office at 361-853-7371.